The University of Kentucky is conducting a national search for a dynamic leader to propel the Gatton College of Business and Economics to the next level of excellence. Leading with passion and creativity, this new Dean will cultivate innovation in education and research to build upon the college’s extensive growth. Partnering with college and university leadership, the Dean will formulate and implement strategies to promote cutting-edge research that will contribute to a global society and will prepare students to be thriving professionals who are sought after by the world’s top organizations.
The Dean of the Gatton College of Business and Economics will have overall responsibility for defining the College’s strategic priorities and securing resources to deliver against those priorities; delivering educational programs and research of the highest quality; and attracting outstanding students.
The Dean is also responsible for all matters related to the College’s internal management, including recruiting and retaining strong, mission-committed faculty; establishing strong international partnerships to support faculty and student needs; and overseeing operations and budgeting. To accomplish these goals, the Dean will empower a strong team of direct reports to assist in the management of the College. The Dean of the Gatton College will also be involved in shaping campus-wide policy and priorities through membership on the Provost’s Deans Council.
The detailed responsibilities of the role and expectations for the successful candidate include the following:
- Provide strategic guidance around the College’s distinct identity and opportunities for market advantage;
- In conjunction with UK’s philanthropy team, as well as those staff specific to the College, seek the support of alumni and business leaders on a local, national, and international level to cultivate College relationships that benefit students and faculty;
- Lead the highly engaged scholarly and administrative team to support the mission of the College, ensure its academic vitality, and promote its reputational advancement;
- Capitalize on the College’s broad portfolio of programs to expand enrollment and grow revenue. Explore potential areas for growth (e.g., expanding dual degree offerings); and
- Work with College leadership, UK leadership and the state legislature on issues related to strategic budgeting and resources.
The specific competencies include the following:
- Ability to articulate a vision for the future of business education and Gatton’s unique place in the field;
- Ability to establish trust, credibility, and influence with the Board of Trustees, all levels of institutional leadership, alumni, and the local business community;
- Provide an innovative vision for the future of teaching, learning and scholarship;
- An aptitude for securing resources and expanding upon the University’s reputation in the region and beyond;
- Appreciation for academic excellence across all disciplines within the Gatton College of Business and Economics;
- Commitment to maintaining student efficacy within the College;
- Solid business acumen in financial principles and understanding of varied business operations and industries;
- Ability to recruit and retain a broad and eminent faculty, staff, and student body
For more than 80 years, students at the University of Kentucky’s Gatton College of Business and Economics have learned key business strategies from both market-leading executives and world-renowned faculty. The Gatton College of Business and Economics is widely regarded as a strong, well-rounded business school serving its land-grant mission and beyond, educating future business leaders across all levels and regularly placing its graduates as faculty in the top business schools. Gatton offers Bachelor, MBA, Masters, and PhD degrees. The College has approximately 90 faculty (75 of whom are tenure or tenure-track), five departments and nearly 4,000 students.
Review of nominations and applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. For more information, please visit the search website here: http://www.uky.edu/provost/gatton-dean-search
The search firm of Heidrick & Struggles, Inc. has been selected to recruit for this position. To be considered, please complete a UK application AND contact Jackie Zavitz, Tim Holt, and/or Libby Ulman email@example.com. Applications must include a CV and cover letter.